International Student Resources

International Student Resources

Red Deer is a city, located in Central Alberta, Canada. It is midway between the major cities of Calgary and Edmonton making it Alberta’s 4th largest city. Whether you call Red Deer a temporary home for the school year or a city where you are thinking of moving into, you will find amenities larger cities may offer but will still make you feel ‘at home”.
Red Deer is a young and lively city with treasure trove of activities and events in the summer, spring, winter or fall.


If you are looking for a temporary home while you study in Red Deer, there are a lot of options to choose from, whatever fits your needs Red Deer has it.



Health and Wellness

As college life is incredibly challenging, ABHI believes that students must establish a stable health and wellness practices. Students are encouraged to be aware of the various health and wellness resources Red Deer has to offer.


  • Healthlink is an extensive source of health information you need. Be it a quick and easy advice or a serious health concern, they will determine what’s the best advice for you. They can be reached, by simply dialling 811.
  • Red Deer Primary Care Network is a partnership of family doctors and Alberta Health Services. This is a great source of walk-in clinics for minor health problems and of health professionals who work alongside family doctors.
  • If you need immediate assistance and believes that it is an emergency, call 911.

Health Care Insurance

  • All international students require health care insurance.
  • Students from outside Canada may be eligible for Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) coverage. You will need to apply AHCIP. Students under 18 years old must be added to the AHCIP account of a custodian. Find out more on
    • Students who have a 12 month Study Permit (valid for an Alberta educational institute), who will reside in Alberta for 12 months or more are eligible for AHCIP coverage and are urged to apply.
    • Students with Study Permits valid for more than 3 months, but less than 12 months, may be eligible for AHCIP coverage if their application is accompanied by a letter from the student confirming their intent to reside in Alberta for at least 12 months.
    • It is important to apply for coverage within three (3) months of moving date.
    • If the application is received within 3 months of entry into Alberta, coverage is effective on the date of either entry into Alberta or the date signed on the Study Permit, whichever is later.
    • If you are deemed ineligible for AHCIP, you will need to obtain private insurance coverage from your country or in Canada. Medical insurance providers are authorized for this service when you apply within five (5) days of your arrival in Canada.
    • If you want to know what AHCIP covers, go to
    • For private insurance coverage, go to
    • For other helpful information, go to


Red Deer offers cycling and recreational trails, facility and park rentals for year-round activities. It also boasts of community programs and information for socialization and community interaction. Hence the tagline, the welcoming and inclusive community. You can choose any of the fitness establishments for any fitness and wellness programs that you’re comfortable with. There will be no shortage of your wellness resources.

Mental Health and Counselling Services

For any clinical cases, students are referred to CMHA Central Alberta

For counselling services, students will be given an option to seek professional help outside of the school premises or ABHI can provide one if need be.

Career Services

Career Counselling

This service is given freely not only to the international students but to everyone who is interested to join ABHI. During the course of their programs, students are encouraged to seek advise from career counsellors when they have academic issues.

Career Development Services

ABHI has developed a partnership with Career Assistance Network to provide resume writing workshop and interview skills enhancement training for its students including international students. These trainings are provided to assist the students in their career and employment goals.

Work while studying

If they meet eligibility requirements, international students may be able to work off campus without a work permit for up to:

  • 20 hours a week during regular academic session
  • full-time during regularly scheduled breaks

International students enrolled in the following programs are not eligible to work with a study permit:

  • language programs (such as English or French as a Second Language) as designated institutions
  • academic upgrading coursework (such as secondary education equivalency)
  • course work that does not lead to a certificate, diploma or degree
  • academic, vocational or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate, and that it less than 6 months long


Learn more about eligibility requirements here.

New to Red Deer?

Transportation Resources

Before Departure

  • Make sure that all your documents like passport, study permit and plane tickets are ready.
  • Check the weather and dress appropriately as weather in Alberta changes so quickly.
  • Have your funds in Canadian dollar ready.
  • Communicate your date and time of arrival with your housing accommodation sponsor. Please have their contact number in your phone for easy access.

Arriving in Alberta

Upon arrival in Alberta, international students will be picked up by the Student Coordinator and will be brought to the pre-arranged accommodation. They will then be instructed to attend a New Student Orientation before their class commences.

Homestay sponsors may assist the student with regards to arranging new phone plans if needed and banking needs if they chose to. Otherwise, the Student Coordinator can assist them with these services. During the New Student Orientation, student policy and other useful information which would help the student get acquainted the with new surroundings, culture and environment will be discussed.

Community Organizations

  • Catholic Social Services
    202, 5000 Gaetz Avenue
    Red Deer, AB T4N 6C2
  • Central Alberta Immigrant Women’s Association
    110, 5017 49th Street
    Red Deer, AB T4N 1V4
  • Red Deer Local Immigration Partnership
    202, 5000 Gaetz Avenue
    Red Deer, AB T4N 6C2
    403-346-8818 ext 268

Places of Worship in Red Deer

  • Centre for Spiritual Living
    3-6315 Horn Street
    Red Deer, AB T4N 6H5
  • Mt. Calvary Lutheran Church
    18 Selkirk Blvd.
    Red Deer, AB T4N 0G2
  • St. Mary’s Catholic Church
    6 McMillan Avenue
    Red Deer, AB T4N 5X8
  • Sunnybrook United Church
    12 Stanton Street
    Red Deer, AB T4N 0B8
  • Jehova’s Witnesses
    11 Bennet Street
    Red Deer, AB T4R 1V3
  • Sacred heart Catholic Church
    5508 48A Avenue
    Red Deer, AB T4N 3V6
  • Chalmers St Andrews Presbetyrian Church
    3628 57 Avenue
    Red Deer, AB T4N 4R5
  • Might Fortress Lutheran Church
    51 Alford Avenue
    Red Deer AB, T4R 1G9
  • Bible Baptist Church
    4618 41 Avenue
    Red Deer, AB T4N 2Y4
  • Iglesia ni Cristo
    5005 50 Avenue
    Red Deer, AB T4N 1Y2
  • Red Deer Islamic Centre
    195 Douglas Avenue
    Red Deer, AB T4R 2G2
  • Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
    3002 47 Avenue
    Red Deer, AP T4N 1P3
  • Victory Church of Red Deer
    98 Oberlin Avenue
    Red Deer, AB T4N 5A4
  • Fountain of Life Apostolic House
    4-5580 45 Street
    Red Deer, AB T4N 1L1